After a day of kinky photo shooting in an abandoned insane asylum in Queens, Miss Couple and I came back to my apartment contemplating the possibility of having contracted tetanus, lead poisoning and possibly rabies. We were feeling depleted, dirty and VERY hungry.
I decided to cook up this shrimp superfood salad based on a recipe I found on IowaGirlEats.com and what I had available in my kitchen. I also doubled her recipe because it keeps well in the fridge, and it is fucking delicious. This dish is incredibly versatile; you can eat it cold, with shrimp, chicken or tofu, as a side dish, as a main course or on a bed of fresh spinach. Anyway you eat it, you won’t regret it.
Miss Couple’s Shrimp Superfood Salad:
- 1 cup of dry quinoa (red or white) (cooked as per directions and cooled)
- 3 ears of fresh corn kernels (or 1 can of corn – rinsed)
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 diced avocados
- 1/2 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 orange, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet grapefruit
- 1 handful chipped cilantro
- 2 handfuls sunflower sprouts (if you have them)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- pat of butter
- 2 lemons or 2 limes – juiced
- 1/8th cup olive oil
- balsamic vinaigrette
- 4 cloves of garlic – dived
- Cook the quinoa according to directions and let cool.
- Add corn kernels, black beans, diced avocados, red onion, orange, grapefruit, cilantro and sunflower sprouts to quinoa and mix with a spatula.
- Heat butter in pan, add shrimp once butter is melted. Add diced garlic and cook shrimp until pink.
- Add lime/lemon juice, olive oil, and a splash of balsamic. Turn off heat.
- Put shrimp in separate container and add the juice left in the pan to the salad and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dish out the salad and decorate as you will with the shrimp!
don’t forget to let your slut do the dishes!